Energy is a precious commodity. Life is exhausting. Pair all your responsibilities with an onslaught of toxins in the environment and lack of nutritious food and its really no wonder why we don’t have bounds of energy.
The regular cup of joe in the morning is a habit that many adults start and soon they are drinking coffee all day long. Although coffee isn’t outright bad for you, it should be used in moderation. There are herbs that you can drink in coffee’s stead that will give you a natural boost in energy.
Most of the herbs listed below are considered adaptogens, or herbs that help your body adapt to stress. This means that your body will not be sapped of energy in order to manage all the stresses of daily life, which less face it, are a lot. This frees up the energy to be used on more important things, like playing with your kids, going to the gym, or just having a little more pep in your step at the end of the day.
1. Ashwagandha- This herb has been used for centuries in Ayurveda, an Indian medicine based on natural healing. It can go by the name of Indian ginseng and winter cherry and it comes from the root of a small flowering shrub in India.
This energizing herb has many more health benefits. It is known to be great for brain health. It improves memory, cognitive function, and can even reduce symptoms of depression. It relieves stress and anxiety, reducing the stress hormone, cortisol which is a nasty little hormone known to cause fat to be stored in the belly.
Ashwagandha has been proven to fight the growth of cancer cells and even help kill cancer cells that already exist. It has been proven to cut down on the causes of inflammation and reduce insomnia. You’ll definitely have more energy if you get a better night’s sleep.
2. Rhodiola Rosea- This is a root from an herb that grows in Scandinavian countries, high up in the mountains. It is also called arctic root or golden root. Rhodiola helps to relieve fatigue and anxiety after just three days of use. It has also been proven to help improve your ability to stay focused and relieve mental fog.
This herb is also known to be good for depression because it balances out any unbalanced neurotransmitters, one of the leading causes of depression. It is well tolerated and has very few side effects as opposed to other prescription drugs for depression.
As a bonus, rhodiola rosea has been known to be helpful in controlling blood sugar and help those who suffer from diabetes. It also contains some cancer fighting components. This is a great herb to add to your daily supplements if you suffer from mental exhaustion regularly.
3. Maca- This is another root that is ground up and taken in either powder form or encapsulated for easy swallowing. This root is found in Peru and has been used by the natives to enhance fertility and sexual prowess. Although that’s always good, we like it because it increases your energy.
Another name for the Maca root is Peruvian ginseng. It is a highly nutritious plant with plenty of vitamin C, copper, iron, and small amounts of potassium, vitamin B6, and manganese. It also has protein and fiber as well.
Maca contains flavonoids that can help to improve your mood and increase energy even to the extent that it can help athletes with endurance sports.
4. Asian Ginseng- This herb contains polysaccharides and oligopeptides that have been proven to fight oxidative stress and improve energy production. It helps to decrease physical and mental fatigue.
Ginseng has also been known to improve your physical activity and strengthen your immune system.
Ginseng is a great supplement to take for those who are going through or have gone through cancer surgery or chemotherapy because it helps to decrease the probability of reoccurrence and increase the survival rate. Even if a person has never had cancer, ginseng can prevent cancer development in places like the esophagus, liver, lungs, stomach and colon.
5. Oregano- This herb is known to be used as a culinary herb, but it has many healing properties. People usually supplement with the oil of oregano since this is a concentrated form of the healing compounds of oregano.
Oil of oregano is a natural antibiotic, can help you lower your cholesterol, and is a powerful antioxidant. It has been used for centuries by the Greeks and Romans to help cure every sort of disease but the way that it helps to increase your energy levels is by detoxifying the body and ridding it of parasites and germs.
It helps with digestion and absorption of nutrition, which also increases energy levels.
6. Holy Basil- Unlike oregano, this basil isn’t the kind that you would use in your cooking. Holy basil is used in making a tonic to cure all sorts of ailments. Different parts of the plant are used to treat eczema, ulcers, insect bites, bronchitis, upset stomach, and even malaria.
It has high levels of vitamin A and C, iron, zinc, calcium, and chlorophyll. Holy Basil was found to increase metabolism and lower stress due to environmental issues. The studies done with Holy Basil showed improvement with sleep problems, stress, sexual problems, and exhaustion.
Holy Basil can be made into a tea or taken in a pill or liquid.
7. Fenugreek- Fenugreek has been used in Chinese medicine for a long time and has also been used in cooking and in toiletries. Recent studies have shown that this herb can help to elevate energy levels.
Fenugreek has been known to improve energy levels, especially in men. It boosts testosterone ad stamina. It also helps to lower blood sugar levels in those that are prediabetic or diabetic. By stabilizing the blood sugar levels in the body, this herb helps to prevent the afternoon crash.
Any of these herbal supplements can be used for an increase in energy. Some might be more potent in certain people as opposed to others. Some of these supplements need to be taken regularly for a while before the effects are noticed. In any case, everyone should consult their doctor before starting a supplementing regimen.